Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, December 29, 2011

MAWBEY SUBSCRIBER TO ST STEPHEN'S CAMPERDOWN

In September 1872, it was reported in a Sydney newspaper that a J Mawbey subscribed to the construction of St Stephens Church of England then underway on land formerly belonging to Camperdown Cemetery at Newtown.
George Mawbey, the forebear of the NSW Mawbeys, was buried there in 1862.
The Bishop of Sydney contributed sixty pounds (60.0.0).
J Mawbey gave five pounds (5.0.0).
*
George Mawbey's son, James, died in 1871 at age 19, so the subscriber must have been his older brother, John Thomas Mawbey, who was then 23.
He was only 13 when his father died.
*
The Sydney Morning Herald, 23 September 1872
CAMPERDOWN CEMETERY.
The proprietors of the above Cemetery, on its being closed by Act of Parliament, made it over to the Bishop of Sydney as a site for a church for the parish of St. Stephen, Newtown, on the condition that tho parish should covenant to keep the ground in order, and preserve the graves and monuments from desecration.
This the parish has consented to, and the land has been transforred to trustees, who have commenced the erection of a church worthy of such a site; but as it is impossible to collect the necessary amount in the parish, and the friends of the dead interred therein have a great interest in maintaining the ground in good order, it baa been determined that an appeal shall be made to them for assistance in completing the undertaking.
A oomparatively small sum from each will accomplish the project.
The church is estimated to cost EIGHT THOUSAND POUNDS, half of which sum has already been promised ; and the walls of the edifice are now rising, and are well worth the inspection of all who are interested in the work.
*
ST. STEPHEN'S. NEWTOWN.
Tbe members of the Church of England resident in the parish of St. Stephen are estimated at about 3000 souls.
They are for the most part of the labouring and poorer classes.
The present Church accommodation is of a temporary character, and is quite inefficient to meet the wants of the parishioners.
Hence a large number of the poorer members of tho Church, and the whole of the 600 Sunday-school children, are practically excluded from the Sunday services.
To supply this deficiency, a new and more commodious building is in process of erection in the "CAMPERDOWN CEMETERY," in which it has been determined that one-half of the sittings shall be FREE and UNAPPROPRIATED.
The walls are up 17 feet, and the Building Committee are anxious to proceed with the next contract, which is to complete the walls and put on the roof, but are hindered by want of funds ; they therefore appeal to their fellow-churchmen in tho colony, and ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO HAVE FRIENDS OR RELATIONS INTERRED WITHIN THE CAMPERDOWN CEMETERY, for assistance in carrying out this great work.
The following contributions have been already subscribed, and are gratefully acknowledged...
St Stephen's, 5th September 1872.
[Source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13263872]