(C) Pamela Mawbey 2010
FIRST AND ONLY RECTOR
There is a monument to it on the corner of Bligh and Hunter Streets, Sydney.
It was built on the side of a hill, and its replacement was built on another, on the other side of a valley.
Its replacement, a stone church named St Philips (located in what is now Lang Park at the Sydney Harbour Bridge end of York Street) opened in 1810.
The Reverend William COWPER (1778-1858) was the rector of the parish of St Philip (1809-1858) and Archdeacon of Cumberland and Camden.
He laid the foundation stone for the second St Philips, located on the other side of York Street, on 1 May 1848.
It was not consecrated until 1856 because of labour shortages caused by gold rushes.
The church was named 'St Philip's' as a tribute to Captain Arthur Phillip RN who commanded the First Fleet and became the first governor of the colony of New South Wales.
But for some unknown reason, the spelling of the name was not the same, with one 'l' used for the church instead of two as in the governor's surname.